ReefDoctor Research and DiveMaster Intern
THIS PROGRAMME IS NOW FULL FOR 2015 NEXT AVAILABLE OPENING TO JOIN WILL BE IN JANUARY AND JUNE 2016.
IN ADDITION A NEW AQUACULTURE INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME WILL BE LAUNCHED IN JUNE/JULY 2015. IDEALLY OPPORTUNITY FOR THOSE LOOKING TO GAIN FEILDWORK EXPERIENCE IN COMMUNITY BASED AQUACULTURE. DETAILS TO BE LAUNCHED VERY SOON, PLEASE EMAIL US AT INFO@REEFDOCTOR.ORG FOR FURTHER DETAILS
The Research and DiveMaster Internship is on offer for those looking to make a greater time commitment to ReefDoctor. This position allows people with a keen interest in tropical marine conservation but with limited experience, to gain their first steps in this exciting but demanding work field. We offer 6 month internship positions, suitable for both non divers and qualified divers with possibility to stay longer for another 6 months upon invitation by ReefDoctor in a staff position.
Following an intensive science training period (~3 months), interns help the core project staff with the marine research programme, training and management of ReefDoctor Eco-Divers and Research Assistants and general camp duties. The interns will also be trained to become PADI Dive Masters following completion of the science training.
The position allows divemaster interns to use their own experiences and qualifications to concentrate on particular ReefDoctor objectives, from the marine research and management side to education or socio-economic development work, allowing them to gain work experience tailored to their future career and personal development requirements.
What you can expect to undertake as a ReefDoctor Intern:
PADI dive training; Open Water, Advanced, EFR, and Rescue certification (within the first 2 months).
Intensive science training: marine science lectures, species identification (basic to expert level), habitat surveying and data management (within the first 3 months).
Following completion of training period, undertake coral reef scuba surveys and assist with other ReefDoctor marine research, management and conservation projects.
Train to PADI DiveMaster level (after the first 3 months).
Assist ReefDoctor’s Dive Officers in the daily operation of the dive shop and diving schedules.
Train ReefDoctor Eco-Divers and Research Assistants in species identification, habitat surveying and data entry.
Assist with science report writing.
Help create information packages / leaflets / posters etc. to relay our projects, findings and news to the local stakeholders, NGOs, government ministries and institutions.
Experience working with local communities in a developing country.Help create educational packages / leaflets / posters on the marine environment for local school children and community members.
Create ReefDoctor newsletter and blogs.
Enjoy exploring the local area; the popular beach resort of Mangily, the Spiny Forest, take a pirogue trip across the Bay or visit one of the local National Parks (in your free time, at your own expense).
ReefDoctor Marine and DiveMaster Expedition and Programme Fees:
Non-certified divers – £4500
Open water certified divers – £4400
Advanced open water certified divers – £4300
If you are offered to stay an additional 6 months (or more) there is no extra fee!
Services included in these expedition costs:
- Airport pick-up in Toliara and transport to the ReefDoctor site in Ifaty
- Arrangement of hotel in the capital city Antananarivo, if required, includes free pick up by hotel from airport.
- All meals, Monday-Sunday.
- Filtered water, coffee and tea.
- Lodging: shared bungalows with bed sheets, pillows and mosquito net provided.
- First-aid medical care.
- Electricity for charging cell phones, laptops, etc. and limited internet connection.
- Dive training, certification fees and PADI materials for ALL PADI Open Water, Advanced, Rescue, EFR, DiveMaster courses.
- PADI dive instruction manuals and PIC cards for all courses.
- PADI DiveMaster Membership fee (£80).
- Project equipment and educational materials: dive slates, paper, pens etc., all required for your working activities.
- Dive equipment, including: Buoyancy Control Device (BCD), full regulator set, weights and tanks.
- Occasional excursions to help some of our conservation partners in the area, such as HONCO (mangrove conservation and re-plantation) and HO AVY (forestry re-plantation of the famous spiny forest).
- Science training.
- Pre-departure support and pre-departure guides: advice on flights, equipment, Madagascar, medicals, vaccines, insurance etc.
- UK based support/communication throughout the expedition for the intern’s friends and family.
- Fuel, equipment and in-country personnel to make this all happen!
Services NOT included in the expedition costs
- Round-trip airfare.
- Visa. – Unless the intern can go directly to a Madagascan embassy in their home country, interns need to send their passport and visa application documents (provided by the embassy and from ReefDoctor), to their nearest embassy to get their specific voluntary work visa they must acquire before joining us. Interns must send the forms using a secure postal service such as Fedex or DHL and provide a return pre-paid envelope or Fedex account information to allow the embassy to send the passport with visa back to the intern. In addition some embassies require a fee to process the visa and interns will be responsible for this cost as well.
- Diving, travel and medical insurance and cost of vaccines.
- ReefDoctor standard recreational dive medicals (forms provided by us to be filled in by a medical professional).
- All interns must bring their own wetsuit, mask/snorkel, fins and booties, time piece and/or dive computer, weight belt.
- Any personal excursions (often groups of volunteers and staff plan excursions to nearby national parks or other areas of interest).
- Anti-malaria drugs.
For more information download our Divemaster Internship programme guide:
Research and DiveMaster Intern Guide – to be updated very soon for 2016
ReefDoctor has 12 intern positions available per year. To find out if you are eligible to become a ReefDoctor intern please fill in our Volunteer Questionnaire and send it along with your C.V to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, we’ll be happy to answer on +44 (0) 7866 250 740.